Friday, March 18, 2011

Being a True Fan

As much as I love how good the Canucks season is going this year, it doesn't come without some difficulties. These are the types of years where every bandwagon Canucks fan comes out. If you don't follow hockey, the Canucks are known having bad if not the worst bandwagon fans in the NHL.

I'm not one of them. There is nothing I hate more than being called a bandwagon fan. My whole life revolves around the Vancouver Canucks, and I have been a die hard fan since I was really young. I was just starting to watch hockey when the Canucks went on their magical '94 run. Then I started watching every game, during one of the worst periods in Canucks history. They were awful, rarely made the playoffs, and when they did, it was ugly. But even through the bad times, I couldn't get away from my love of hockey, and my love for the Vancouver Canucks.

Now, having their best season in their 40 year history, it's pretty easy to be a Canucks fan. They boast a 47-16-9 record, have already clinched the division title, a playoff spot, and are well on their way to winning the franchise's first ever presidents trophy (most points during the regular season in the NHL). With all the success, all the "I'm only a fan when they're winning" fans start to come out, and then all the Canuck haters start to complain about all the "dumb, bandwagoning Canucks fans".

I totally agree to some extent. Bandwagoners are annoying for sure, and I agree that there are some awfully dumb Canucks fans out there. But on the other hand, which team doesn't have bandwagoners? You can't get away from it, and no matter how much you love or hate the Canucks, they are not the only team with dumb, bandwagoning fans. Who doesn't want to cheer for a winning team? Yes....I'm a little hardcore, and I've stuck with the Canucks through the good and the bad, and I'm proud to say that. But for the average hockey fan, who wants to cheer for a crappy team?

On facebook, I always see people say stuff like "where are the Canucks fans now" or "I dont see anyone writing status updates about the Canucks tonight" after a Vancouver loss. Question....who writes "Go Team Go!" after their team loses? NOBODY. Nobody wants to gloat about a losing team, that's just not normal.

Being a truly die hard Canucks fan definitely has its challenges, and this is one that really gets to me sometimes. As much as I am loving the success the Canucks are having this year, the bandwagoners are never gonna go away, and people who complain about them are not going to stop either.

1 comment:

  1. Very true...and I have to say you truly are a Die Hard - and proud to be one! What it really means to me is that you are a loyal fan or a loyal friend! :)

    ReplyDelete